Saturday, December 20, 2008

Last Day -- on Dun I

The last day on Iona a few of us hiked up to the top of Dun I. Dun I literally means "Hill of Iona." It is 332 ft. above sea level and the highest point on the Isle. Atop Dun I sits a stone cairn. What an amazing view from there. You can see all sides of the Isle from there...exhilarating. To the north you see the end of the Isle come to a narrow point extending into the strait. At the end is a very white sand beach called "white strand of monks." It was here on a Christmas Eve in 986 that Vikings rampaged and killed the abbot and 15 monks. History says that was the last of Viking raids on the Isle. Known as an Isle of peace, it has had its share of violence over the centuries.

It was extremely peaceful on the day I climbed atop Dun I. It was a fitting end to "top off" a powerful week on Iona.

Standing next to the cairn atop Dun I. You can see the "white stand of the monks" at the end of the Isle in the photo below.

No comments: